The truth will set you free

In John 8.31-32, Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free".
What was Jesus saying that we’ll be set free from? He answers that question in John 8:34-36. He was talking to the Jews but I believe this teaching applies to us all. Jesus said: those who sin are slaves to sin.

Friends, we have all been slaves of sin at one time. But here’s the good news: Romans 5:1-2 (NIV) says “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God“. This means that those who accept Christ as their Lord and Savior are saved by the grace of Jesus Christ.

Notice that it doesn’t say we won’t sin after we’ve been saved. We’re all sinners; both the saved and the unsaved. But as believers in Christ, we’re called to repent from sin. After becoming a believer, I struggled with some types of sin for many years. For decades in fact. Thankfully when we become believers, we receive the help of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps us to understand God’s word and convicts us of our sin.

Unless God is talking to you directly as he has with his prophets, this usually means that you have to either hear his word or read his word. I recommend that you read the Bible every day of your life because it will strengthen your understanding of God’s Word which in turn will strengthen your faith. Even if it’s only for a few minutes a day.

It’s also a good idea to make it a practice to ask for his wisdom and understanding before you read or listen to scripture. The Holy Spirit convicts us of the sins in our lives. I’m so glad that God didn’t give up on me through all the years I wrestled with him over my sins. When I got serious about drawing closer to God, trusting him and becoming obedient to his word, I prayed and asked him to take the sin away from me that the Holy Spirit was convicting me of. Like all of us, I’m still a sinner. But when we repent of our sins, we tend to draw closer to God. He blesses our obedience and helps us to realize his purpose for our lives.

I pray that you will walk in obedience to the Lord so that you will receive his blessings!
Daniel

Comments