Why do you call me Lord, Lord?


Until recently, I never knew why people would call Jesus Lord, Lord instead of just Lord. Why say Lord twice? That sounds redundant, doesn't it? Then I learned that in the Greek language that the New Testament was written in, the word that’s translated into English as Lord can be used to show respect, much like we use the words sir or mister today. It can also be used to refer to someone in authority. For example, people would often refer to a king as lord.

So when someone addressed Jesus as "Lord, Lord" it was crystal clear that they were addressing Him with respect while also acknowledging Him as an authority over their lives.

In Luke 6:46, Jesus said: “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?” Ouch! That one has convicted my heart to the very core every time I’ve wrestled with sin. But Jesus didn’t stop there. He described the stark contrast between those who choose to obey Him with those who choose to please themselves.
Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.
Luke 6:47-49 (NKJV)
Jesus made it clear that when we’re saved, a drastic change needs to occur in our lives. We're not expected to stay the same because we are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV). In fact, our eternal destination depends on becoming a new creation, which is what happens when you're born again.

Too many Christians these days think that they don’t have to change because God’s grace allows them to continue living their lives any way they like. After all, Jesus paid it all, right? Don’t misunderstand me, I believe in God’s grace towards believers but we are not to abuse it as some kind of legal loophole that allows us to continue living in sin. Jesus himself said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven" (Matthew 7:21 NKJV).

When I finally meet Jesus face to face, I don’t want to hear him say “I do not know you(Luke 13:25 NKJV). If you're not certain that you’re living in obedience to God’s word, it’s time to dust off your bible and start reading it every day. If you’re struggling with sin, you can go to God in prayer and ask him to strengthen your will to resist it. The more you succeed at resisting sin the more spiritual muscle you'll build to resist that sin in the future. If you do these things, you can live a life in obedience to God’s word.

I pray that you will, and I hope to see you in heaven,
Daniel

Comments