15 biblically-based reasons to pray


Prayer is simply communicating with our creator. You can pray anytime, anywhere, with no prerequisites or restrictions. You can pray with your eyes open or shut, your hands folded or unfolded. You can even pray while kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, running, or lying down.

Why should we pray?

When we pray, we get to know God. This is especially true when we find a quiet place where we can listen for God to whisper to us. Our prayers don’t have to be just a one-way exchange where we do all the talking. If we get quiet, we can sometimes sense God speaking to our spirit. It might not happen while you’re praying. For me, it often happens when I’m just meditating on God’s Word.

There are literally thousands of reasons why we should pray, but here are just 15 of them.

Because Jesus prayed

There are many instances recorded for us in the Bible where Jesus prayed, often going to a solitary place to get away from the clamor and noise of the crowds. Here’s just one of them.
Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed.
Mark 1:35 (NKJV)

To gain wisdom

When God asked David’s son, King Solomon what he wanted the Lord to do for him, Solomon asked for wisdom. He received it in abundance. Solomon was recognized by kings and queens as having great wisdom. If we want wisdom, we only need to ask God for it.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
James 1:5 (NKJV)

To receive discernment

The prophet Malachi tells us that the Israelites had turned away from God so completely that they had lost their ability to discern between good and evil. He told them if they would only turn back to God, they would again be able to discern the difference between the righteous and the wicked (Malachi 3:18 NKJV). As Christians, if we hear God’s Word and treasure it in our hearts, we can also receive discernment from our Holy God.
My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you,
So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding;
Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding,
If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will understand the fear of the LORD,
And find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly;
He guards the paths of justice,
And preserves the way of His saints.

Proverbs 2:1-8 (NKJV)

To receive healing

You can pray to be healed from any kind of sickness or pray for others to be healed. I was recently in the hospital with an infection that affected several organs in my body, including weakening my heart. Many friends, family, and church members prayed for me and I was released from the hospital six days later and have recovered my strength much more quickly than the doctors expected. I am glad to say that I'm now fully recovered. Prayer is indeed a powerful thing!
And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
James 5:15 (NKJV)

To gain strength to overcome temptation

When we give our lives to Christ, some people are released from their addictions and temptations immediately, but many of us continue to struggle with the same temptations we had before we were saved. It can sometimes take years of prayer and persistence to overcome some of our bad habits and addictions. Just don’t give up!

I experienced this in my own walk with Christ. I was a believer for decades before I finally decided to give my life fully over to the Lord. I had been struggling with a reoccurring sin that was causing me much guilt and embarrassment. But, thanks be to God that with much prayer and persistence, I was able to break free and stay free from that sin.
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Matthew 26:41 (NKJV)

To overcome demonic barriers

I pray almost every night before I go to sleep for God’s protection over myself, my friends, and my family. Why? Because I have experienced a demonic attack and it’s not something I ever want to experience again. So, I can tell you with utmost certainty that demonic spirits are real.

Jesus cast out many demons during his ministry, but the story in (Matthew 17:14-21 NKJV) teaches us that some demons can only be cast out with prayer. There are endless stories of people who were demon-possessed or haunted by demons before they gave their lives to Christ.

To obtain deliverance

Deliverance from Satan and his fallen angels is so important that Jesus included it in what we refer to as the Lord’s Prayer.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Matthew 6:13 (NIV)
The Devil and his followers are constantly looking for a foothold in our lives that they can use to trip us up. I make it a habit to ask for protection from the wiles of the devil so that his evil schemes will be thwarted before they even have a chance to get started. But, of course, everyone messes up every once in a while and, when this happens, we need to pray for deliverance, repent of our wrongdoing, and ask for forgiveness (which is our next topic).

To confess our sins and ask for God’s forgiveness

We were all born sinners and we don’t cease to be sinners after we’re saved. Whether we recognize it or not, all of us will sin from time to time. I ask God to forgive my sins every single day, even if I don’t know of a particular sin that I've committed. I think it’s also a good practice to ask for forgiveness as soon as you realize that you’ve sinned. Don’t store up your transgressions and say one umbrella prayer later. The reason that I think this is important is that when you ask for forgiveness right away, you can be more specific in your prayer as to the sin you committed. This approach helps me to correct my behavior right away.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9 (NKJV)

To gain courage

Have you ever wished that you had more courage to spread the gospel and do the work of the kingdom of God? The apostle Paul teaches us that we can pray for courage.
Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
Ephesians 6:19-20 (NIV)

To gain spiritual strength

Spiritual strength is vital to our lifelong journey with Jesus. Colossians 1:11 (NIV) speaks of a prayer for great endurance and patience and 2nd Thessalonians 2:16-17 (NIV) speaks of strengthening believers in every good deed and word. All of these things are vitally important for us to stay on track for the long term in our walk with the Lord.

To strengthen others spiritually

We need to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ that their spiritual walk will be strengthened and we need them to also pray for us. In fact, the Apostle Paul specifically requested that other believers pray for him.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel
Ephesians 6:18-19 (NIV)

To get opportunities to witness

We need to pray for opportunities to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ and to ask others to pray for opportunities for us to do the same. Even while the Apostle Paul was in prison for spreading the gospel, he asked other believers to pray that he would have more opportunities to witness to others.
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.
Colossians 4:3 (NIV)

To receive God’s provision

Jesus taught that we should not worry about what we will eat or drink or wear because our heavenly father knows what we need and will provide those things to us. (Matthew 6:25-34 NIV). In the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus also taught that we should pray for our daily provisions.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Matthew 6:11 (NKJV)

To be rewarded for our faithfulness

Jesus promises that when we pray in private that our heavenly Father will reward us openly (Matthew 6:6 NKJV).

To make requests of God

I think it’s safe to say that most prayers are about asking God for something. The good news is that we can have confidence that He hears us and will respond If we’re persistent. In fact, Jesus told a parable about being persistent in prayer in Luke 11:5-9 (NKJV).
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
1 John 5:14-15 (NKJV)

Parting thoughts

I’d like to leave you with some final thoughts to meditate on.
  • One of the greatest tragedies of all is the prayer requests that go unanswered simply because they go un-asked.
You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.
James 4:2 (NIV)
  • What you pray for reflects what you believe about God.
  • God can do exceedingly abundantly more than you can imagine. So, make your prayers big.
  • If we have the audacity to ask, God has the ability to deliver.
  • The more you obey God, the more powerful your prayers will be.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
James 5:16 (NIV)

Related messages

Giving thanks
Ten biblical ways to worship God

Comments