Let my words be life


There’s a song by Hawk Nelson that reminds us that what we say is of the utmost importance. I should also add that how we say it is important as well. Their song, "Words" goes like this:
Let my words be life.
Let my words be truth.
I don’t want to say a word unless I point the world back to you.
The words of this song are intentionally evangelistic. The gospel of Jesus Christ brings life to those who hear the gospel and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Jesus is the way the truth and the life (John 14:6).

Of course, we need to talk about things other than the gospel to get through our daily lives but we should always look for opportunities to share Jesus with others. Whether we’re evangelizing or talking about other things, we should always choose our words wisely. In other words, we need to filter the words in our brain before we release them through our lips.

We would do well to follow the advice of the psalmist who said: “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).

Following this advice might require some life changes. You might be struggling with the love of sarcasm or you might have anger issues. After all, none of us are perfect as Christ is perfect. We’re all a work in progress but we're also called to be the salt and light of the world. If we have the will to become more like Christ, then with prayer and some self-discipline, we can learn to choose the words that are acceptable in the Lord’s sight.


May your words be life and truth,
Daniel

Comments