Disposing of our distractions


We're addicted to distractions. Never before has a generation had so many distractions to deal with in their daily lives. Modern technology was supposed to make our lives easier, more enjoyable, and productive. But we’re constantly barraged with tweets, instant messaging, news feeds, and the like… and that’s just on our smartphones! When you add in the time spent playing video games and choosing between a hundred different TV channels or thousands of movies that can be instantly streamed to our favorite device, it’s a wonder we have time to do anything else.

You might be thinking “well, at least we’re not bored”. Maybe that’s true. But at what cost?

Or you might say “it’s not all bad”. To which I say, much of it is bad and that’s reason enough to consider what you’re spending your limited time on.

God didn’t create us to spend all our free time pursuing earthly pleasures. The next time you play video games for hours on end, decide to undergo a movie marathon, or watch sports all day long, think about what you could have done instead that would further the kingdom of God. Think about what you should be doing instead, that might win souls for Christ or strengthen the faith of your brothers and sisters in Christ. Would you rather get the top score in a video game or earn eternal rewards in heaven?
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10
Now, before you think I’m being too harsh, or a fuddy-duddy, I want you to know that this is something I struggled with myself… for many years. When I look back at all the time I wasted on things that just don’t matter in the eternal scheme of things, I’m filled with shame and regret. I wish I could have that time back, but we both know that’s not going to happen. With the help of the Holy Spirit, I’ve been able to cast aside the biggest time wasters in my life, which frees up time that I can use to study God’s word and teach it to others. That doesn’t mean I never do anything fun or that I don’t ever pursue entertainment or leisure time. I do, but I’m careful about setting aside time for the Lord because I want to do the good works that the Lord has prepared for me to do.

Just imagine if Moses had decided to stay home. Maybe the Hebrews would still be slaves in Egypt. And what if Saul had decided to ignore his encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus and return to the good life as a Pharisee? He wouldn’t have become the Apostle Paul and taken the gospel to the gentile nations. Nor would he have written most of the New Testament.

What about you? What are you willing to give up so that you can spend more time doing the work the good Lord has prepared for you to do from the beginning? You were called to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. You were called to dwell in God’s presence and to bring light into this dark world.
Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6
I pray that you’ll carefully consider how you’re spending your spare time. If you think you don’t have time to spend with God in prayer or that you don’t have time to read the Bible every day, please earnestly re-evaluate your priorities. Ask yourself if what you’re doing on a reoccurring basis for your own enjoyment is more important than doing God’s will for your life. Ask yourself if what you’re spending your time doing is bringing God glory, “that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10).

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
Daniel

Comments