It is finished


 The last words the Lord Jesus spoke on the cross before willingly offering up His spirit are translated into English as “It is finished”. This is translated from the single Greek word “Tetelestai” which means “paid in full”. We know this because this word has been found on papyri tax receipts created in Jesus’ day to indicate that a person’s taxes are fully paid.

So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!”
And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit. John 19:30 (NKJV)

This statement from Jesus is profound and should provide great comfort to born again believers because it assures us that our salvation in Jesus is secure. The sinless lamb of God, Jesus willingly paid the price for our sin that we could never have paid ourselves. Because of His great sacrifice, all of our sins: past, present, and future are forgiven.


In the old covenant, sinners had to sacrifice animals to pay the price for their sins. They had to sacrifice animals over and over again to cover their latest sins. When Jesus willingly offered Himself as a sacrifice for our sins, He paid that price for us for all time. 


Notice that the end of John 19 verse 30 tells us that Jesus gave up His spirit. This was an act of His own will. No one took it from Him, rather He willingly gave it up for our sake. This fulfilled His prophecy that no one would take His life from Him.


11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. 15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 17 Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.
John 10:11, 15, 17, 18


Praise Jesus for His finished work on the cross for our salvation!







Comments